Skip to main content

Extremities

The soul


I look at her. She's pretty. I haven't seen her around here before. She seems a little lost. I wonder if I should get up and go say hi. But then, I might lose my seat at the bar. I'm waiting for a friend. He's late. As usual, but I wait, I can be patient. I watch her as she looks around and there's a moment of recognition in her eyes as she looks at a spot near the door. Someone has obviously come in, but I can't take my eyes off of her.

She hugs this new comer, a smile in her eyes, a perfect smile on her lips. She isn't sure of something as she separates from him, a smile that turns into a slight frown. She walks towards me, a slight touch on the guy's hand. "Hey man." Of course, the guy has to be him, my best friend since childhood.

He introduces her to me, I smile and offer her my seat. She refuses, smiling politely. She looks a little confused as she looks up at him. He introduces her as his friend, he knew her from college, and got re-acquainted recently. That's not an issue for me. She smiles a lot, she's friendly, she orders herself a drink, and she laughs at my jokes. A small yet hearty laugh that sends shivers down my spine and my heart skips a beat. For the first time in a really long time, I felt hope. Love in its simplest forms. Love at first sight.

The heartache

The cab runs into traffic a minute from my destination. I step out and walk, I have to get to them soon. I reach the door to the pub, and pause for a minute. Tensed. I close my eyes and walk in, I look around for a familiar face and I see recognition on her face.

She hugs me as I approach her, I tense up. It's awkward. I think she likes me. I look at her and see a small frown. I walk her toward my friend, who is waiting at the bar, a slight touch on my hand. I ignore it "Hey man." It was time to make introductions.


I introduce her to him, he smiles and offers her his seat. It's all good. She refuses, smiling politely. She looks a little confused maybe as to why she's here. I introduce her as my friend, say that I knew her from college, and that we got re-acquainted recently. My friend is at his best behaviour, a riot. This is going good. She smiles a lot, she's friendly, she orders herself a drink, and she laughs at his jokes. A small yet hearty laugh that sends shivers down my spine and my heart skips a beat. For the first time in a really long time, I felt hope. I think they approve of each other, I can tell him I love her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The train

The T shirt The morning of my first train journey alone from the city of Bangalore to the huge city of Mumbai, had me seeing the interiors of a train for the first time in 25 years. The last time I traveled by train I was 5 years old. A lot had changed since then. Flights were frequent, my father had made huge amounts of money, and I never had to bother taking the train. But as a 30 year old unmarried woman, trying to prove herself in a patriarchal society, I had cut off from my family- financially and emotionally. I had my hand sanitiser, wet tissues, pepper spray,  packed food (enough for 3 days), and I was ready to fight the germs and the assholes that could be in the train. I was dressed in my ex boyfriend's t shirt which was a few sizes too big, so as to not "entice" the lewd remarks or actions. A woman shabbily clad in a Saree came and sat next to me with her 3 kids and her husband who smelled heavily of alcohol. They were jittery and excited. There was a stron...

Adoptive Circumstances

Mother Today, I told her the truth. It was her 18 th birthday. She was old enough, wise enough, smart enough, and mature enough. Today, I told my daughter that I couldn’t conceive a child, and that she came from someone else. I told her that she is beautiful, she is amazing, I love her like I carried her, maybe even more, but she came from somewhere else. I haven’t seen her face fall as it did today. But that look, I would never forget it. It was the truth, and a necessity, a pain and a blessing. “Why don’t I have hair like yours and a nose like daddy’s?” The 10 year old girl had asked me. She was referring to the torrent of crazy curls that rose from my head, and the long pointed nose that was her dad’s. What lies I had told her while I had brushed her long straight hair. We gave her everything. We always wanted what was best for her. So, today, I told her; Remembering the first time I had held her, having glimpsed her birth mother’s longing to hold her child. We had closed...

Father and Daughter

Daddy's Little Girl I could hear my dad grinding his teeth. Getting ready to shout at me for something I did not do. I pretend to ignore it. My dad had started to self-destruct a little while after my mother's death. I never understood why. It was not as if he had loved her, or respected her. They had gotten married as a business deal, like most marriages in India, a convenience, an unavoidable contract that had to be signed before a certain age had lapsed. But there my dad had been at the funeral; miserable, drunk and angry. So he had been for the days that followed. I was angry at the prospect of having to take care of this person who never saw love, who never felt love, but grieved at the loss of someone else's love. My mother had loved him; that had been her weakness. I remember the slaps that followed every time he ground his teeth. My mother had taken it, and stayed with him. Domestic abuse was not a term that was well echoed in society. Mental abuse was...